In service industry like hotel or restaurant, complaints go side by side. Whenever you would try to sell any product or service, you will find some people who may not become satisfied. In hotel arena, people get angry or not fill happy for various reasons. Some common reasons are like not getting proper service by staffs, bad quality of food in restaurants etc. The basic golden rule of dealing with guest complaints, is don’t be panic or offensive while guests complaint to you. Try to professionally deal all sorts of complaints. This is a great chance to show your professionalism.
Thing you should Consider while Handling Complaints
Why do you feel guest complaints are bad for your property. Try to think in different ways. Don’t you feel it is helpful for you to find out weaknesses of your property and a chance to resolve that? A valid, logical complaint is the feedback from your guest by handling which you can improve your hotel or restaurant on the other hand ignoring such complaint will result serious loss in future. So, try to think this way. This is the right approach to handle guest complaint.
- Take your time. Listen with full attention what guest wants to say.
- After guest express his complaint repeat that in your voice to make him understand that you listen to him properly.
- Start replying in a tricky way like “I understand your problem, sir” or “Thanks a lot for bringing up the matter” to us”. This will give impression to guest that you are not against the guest but rather supporting him. This would make him calm.
- If you are the person to solve the matter then take proper action to solve the problem. If you are not authorized for handling such complaints then inform the right person who can solve the problem.
- If you can solve the problem and you may take time from guest to solve the problem and in this situation don’t forget to follow up the problem to check whether it is solved or not.
- If the problem is very serious then consult with top personnel immediately.
- If you are front desk agent then you should write the complaint in complaint form.
Types of Guest’s Complaints in Hotel & Restaurant:
There are tons of complaints a hotelier needs to handle everyday. Based on our research we can classify guest complaints into 5 main types according to the nature and timing of the complaint. Those are:
- Before Guest Arrives
- After Guest’s Arrival
- During Guest’s Stay
- During Guest’s Check Out
- After Guest’s Check Out
Before Guest Arrives:
- Booking information is not accurately records.
- Booking information is not timely and accurately delivered.
- Prices, or room number information cannot be kept confidential or premature to tell the guests.
- A sudden raise of room prices.
- Managers at all levels receive relatives and friends booking without informing front desk that could cause damage and confusion.
- Restaurants of various departments in the home-front passenger booking and contact guests in the process of giving guests the impression to remain poor, resulting in booking or cancellation of booking guests do not want.
After Guest’s Arrival:
- Both parties to the price dispute.
- Upon arrival record of the request is inconsistent with the hotel.
- Not been able to stay in rooms or rooms cannot let guests leave satisfied.
- Guests of the hotel the provisions of dissatisfaction with the difference in different time slots.
- The guests are not satisfied with the arrangements.
- Check-in board room procedures were too cumbersome and time-consuming too long.
- Welcome members and baggage are not in place or place of service for less than a home.
During Guest’s Stay:
- Room facilities and equipment, consumables or services that allow guests are disappointed.
- Business center and switchboard services to make guests dissatisfied.
- Information and cashier services enable customers satisfied.
- Other aspects: the key to the guests because of the expired card can not open the door and dissatisfaction; the guests change wards without a response, or implementation; guest complaints during the stay, the hotel is not to be properly resolved.
During Guest’s Check Out:
- Rounds closing speed is too slow: No small change to speak of; foreign exchange has not commenced business or has ceased operation; guests to catch up with the next closing rooms, dining hall staff time; guest attendants have to go rounds, with a total station to play the past Tel no access; room attendants rounds too slow; cashier checkout too slow.
- Accounts disputes: Guest does not recognize certain consumer items; have objections to certain spending; does not recognize the loss of items they should be required to pay compensation for costs; right held by the guests credit card validity or currency of doubtful authenticity etc.
- The Housing-state error: the guests have already checkout, the total housing units are not in time to change state; guests extension completed check-out procedures, with a total station has not entered into the computer; for other reasons.
After Guest’s Check Out:
- Related Business forms are not timely filed or filed in error; guests entered the relevant information is not timely and customer history files; guest’s complaint information is not timely, accurately reflected in the relevant sectors.
- The guest check-out services are not in place or to pass relevant information is not discontent caused by the guests: Guests Check in time when the message is not delivered to the designated guests; guests arrive after check-out items, letter or fax are not timely and accurate manner according to the requirements of the guests treatment; guests left the hotel the important items, documents, failed to pass the guests in time, affecting the lives of the guests and travel.
For more information we highly encourage you to read this Most Effective Step by Step Guest Complaint Handling Procedure in Hotel