From now we will again start publishing useful hospitality management training tutorials for you. Hope you will keep visiting this blog like before. Today we will learn how to handle a pre registered guest at front desk of a hotel. This Front Office Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) will help you to provide a personalized check in for pre-registered guests.
Previously we have published few other relevant tutorials that you may find useful. Here are those:
- Step by Step Guest Registration at Front Desk
- Dialogue: Room Registration
- A to Z Guest Registration Procedure: Part-1, Part-2, Part-3
- How to Introduce Hotel Room to Guests
- Rooming a Guest (SOP)
- How a Bellboy should Guide toward Front Desk
Pre-Registered Guest check in Procedure
(1) A Pre-Registered guest must be “Checked in” within the Night Shift before the Night Audit, in an Inspected room as per the guest’s requirement .
(2) A Guest Registration Card must be printed and a key card to be prepared and kept on hold for the guest at the Front Desk.
(3) When the guest arrives and presents his name at the Front Desk, a normal check in must be done, after informing him/her that she/he has a Pre Registered booking, as the room has been held for him from the previous night and therefore he would be charged from the previous night. Here is what you can say:“We are holding a reservation for you. May I request you to kindly verify the information we have here? You will be checking out on the “X” (Date) of “Z” (Name of the month)? May I have your check out time please? I see you have requested a non- smoking king, is that correct? You have booked a “B” (Room Category) room, this would be your Rate (point to the rate, do NOT say it ALOUD).”
(4) Mention the facilities included in the rate if applicable. If breakfast is not included in the rate, ask if she/he would like it included in the rate and add USD XX (Charge) if so. Make sure changes are made in the system accordingly as well. Check the billing instructions. If the instructions show that the guest will pay, ask him/her how she/he would like to settle the bill. Click on “Rate Information” in the system. Add XYZ amount to the total amount shown on the Rate Information screen and take a pre authorization or deposit accordingly. This amount represents the total room and incidental charges. If the instructions are for bills directly to the company, ensure to attach a copy of the company letter to the Registration Card. If all details are correct, print a Registration Card and ask the guest to sign it. Check in the guest in the system and make a room key. Put the key in a key wallet; write the room number and the departure date on it and handing it over to the guest say “This is your room number. Your room is located on the “X” floor” (NEVER SAY OUT ALOUD THE ROOM NUMBER). As you know, you will have to insert this keycard in the slot in the elevator to access your floor. Please insert your keycard, pull it out and press your floor button.” Check in the system to see if the guest has a parcel, envelop or anything else waiting for him/her. If she/he does, inform him/her and hand it over to him/her. If he/she is a XYZ (Hotel’s Name) Club guest, hand her/him the welcome letter.
“This is your welcome letter which will give you details of the facilities made available to you as our exclusive XYZ (Hotel’s Name) Club Guest.” Tell him/her about the new complimentary shoe shine service. “Mr/Mrs/Miss “X” we are also pleased to inform you of the new complimentary shoe shine service available to you in the Lower Lobby. You are welcome to tip at your own discretion.”
(5) Ask the guest about luggage and introduce him/her to the bell boy. “Mr/Mrs/Miss “X” do you have any luggage? Enjoy your stay with us. Please give me a call if you need any assistance.”
(6) After the bellboy is introduced, the following scripting should be used by the bellboy: “Welcome to the “H” (Your Hotel Name) Mr/Mrs/Miss “X”! Allow me to please escort you to your room.” To start the conversation, enquire about his flight/ if this is his first visit to your city/ his first stay at our Hotel/ talk about the weather. As you get on to the elevator, explain the following “Due to security purposes your key has been programmed to allow access to our floors. Please insert your key and pull it out and press the floor number which you wish to access.” Then turn the conversation about our Hotel.
(7) “Welcome to your Room, Mr/Mrs/Miss “X”!” Enter the room first and switch on the lights. “Would you like me to familiarize you with your room?” Point to the light sensor and inform “This is a light sensor programmed to switch Off the lights in your room 15 minutes after you leave the room. The lights will also come on as soon as you enter the room” “This is your Tea/Coffee Kettle. House Keeping will replenish the sugar/coffee and these two bottles of Mineral Water every day. Compliments from our hotel.” “Our Mini bar is located right here with a Waiter’s friend for your convenience.” “Your AC controls are located here; your room temperature has been programmed to 22 degrees, fan setting at 3. However, you can change the controls and manage the temperature in your room to your comfort level.” “This is a radio alarm clock for your convenience; however our operators will be on standby for your wakeup call requests if required.” “For extra lighting in your room and for your bed time reading, you can navigate these bedside lamps. The light switch is right here (switch on the lights) and the master switch is placed right here.” Open the curtains, to show the view (if the room commands a good view). “This is your service directory which will give you all the information you require on our hotel and its facilities. This is your room service. We provide free internet facilities in your room. This cord will be required to connect your laptop to the “plug and play facility”. These points are not however connected to the sensor systems and we request you to switch them off when you leave your room. Your chair can be adjusted like so (show the guest how to do it!)” “We have …. (150) TV channels for your viewing pleasure; this list has been prepared for easy viewing.” “Inside this wardrobe you will find your bathrobe, slippers, laundry bag, hairdryer and shoe shine.” “The el-safe is right here, would you like me to show you how it is operated?” (If yes, show the guest) “May I suggest you place your passport and all your valuables in this safe for safekeeping before you leave your room?” “You will find your iron and iron board placed in this wardrobe.” “This is your spy hole, and the Fire Exit Plan (point), you are right here (point to the room in the map) I request you to make yourself familiar with this plan for your own safety in case of an emergency. We also have a double lock facility (Show how it works). This is to ensure your privacy when you are in the room.”
(8) You should also say “Mr/Mrs/Miss “X”, for any other queries, you can dial One Touch Assistance” “My name is “H” and if you would need anything else you will be able to find me at ext 9116/9117 and I would be happy to be of assistance to you.”
(9) At last you should wish him by saying “Have a pleasant stay Mr/Mrs/Miss “X”.” Close the door gently behind you.
Look this tutorial is written just to give you basic idea about how to handle real situation. In reality you may face different circumstances, different types of room facilities, guests etc. You should be knowledgeable and skilled enough to handle any situation that comes to you. Hope you have enjoyed this tutorial. If you want to get all our upcoming tutorials in your Email Inbox then click here and subscribe. Also don’t dare to miss our free training videos. Click HERE and watch.