Ensure that the guests have been appropriately served with bread and butter service so as to achieve guest satisfaction.
1. Prepare the bread
- After the food order has been taken, proceed with the order to the pantry area (bread and butter is always only served with western food order).
- Put a clean bread basket with a folded service napkin on a service tray and make it ready for serving.
- Pick up the bread rolls from the warmer by using tongs and keep them in the bread basket.
- Prepare the required tubs of butter and margarine and keep them on a clean, non-chipped B&B plate and place them on the service tray.
2. Approach the table
- Use your left hand to carry the service tray and hold it flat on your palm firmly.
- Make eye contact with a smile and approach the table.
- Serve the guest from the right side of the guest with the right leg slightly ahead in front of the table and establish eye contact with a smile and say: “Excuse me Mr. X, here is your basket of bread”.
3. Place the bread basket
- Keep the bread basket and B&B plate on the center of the guest table.
4. Serve the Bread & Butter
- Put the butter tub with the single piece of butter.
- While placing the butter tub, ensure that the logo of the butter pot and the brand name of the butter face toward the guest.
- If there is a large group, serve the portioned butter on a demitasse saucer.
- Replenish bread and butter for the guest (when required).
- Check to ensure that all bread items are appropriately warmed before servicing to the guest.
5. Leaving the table
- Make eye contact with a smile and acknowledge the guest by saying politely: “Thank you, Enjoy your meal, Mr. X.” and leave the table.
- Always approach from the right hand side of the guest unless it is required to do from the left side of the guest. Such as:
- Guests are involved in serious conversation during the meal.
- Inadequate space for the arrangement of the guest table.
- Serving or removing items are located on the left side of the guest.
- Ensure that the breadbasket must have at least five types of bread and minimum 3 types of butter are available for guest (selection should be made as per Chef & Baker and also as per the availability).
- Keep the bread in the oven for 1 minute at the heat of 250°C in absence of the Baker.
- The kitchen staffs and the other staffs associated with the service must be aware of the availability of the different types of bread in the hotel on a daily basis.
- Ensure that different types of bread are offered to guest so they can choose from that best suited to their taste, such as: Cheese roll, French baguette, Onion and olive bread, Brown roll, White roll, Italian bread, local bread (if any), Potato bread and so forth.
- During busy nights and specialty nights, keep the breads in a warmer at back area and make the bread basket ready with proportioned butter and margarine before guest arrival.
- You can use the following proposed portion of butter and margarine to serve the guest with:
- For 1 person: 2 bread rolls with 1 tub of butter and margarine.
- For 2 – 3 persons: 4 bread rolls with 3 tubs of butter and 2 tubs of margarine.
- For 3 – 4 persons: 6 bread rolls with 4 tubs of butter and 2 tubs of margarine.
- For 4 – 6 persons: 8 bread rolls with 6 tubs of butter and 2 tubs of margarine.