As you know hospitality sector, a walk-in guest refers to that person who has come to hotel without any prior reservation. Hotels do not have any sorts of obligation to provide proper accommodation to walk-in guests if there is no available room. On the other hand, accommodating walk-in guest can enhance sales and daily occupancy if it is managed properly. If the agent cannot accommodate a guest then he should refer him to the other hotel of that hotel group or any nearby hotel. By this way, if hotels of a locality maintain good relationship with each other then high percentage of such guests can be accommodated.
If you are a front desk agent then follow this guideline to deal with walk-in guests:
- Treat the guest warmly with ready smile as like as registered guest.
- Create such situation so that the guest does not feel hesitated.
- Ask his desire length of stay and room preference.
- Check whether such room is available or not in those days.
- If not then offer other room.
- Quote the room rate and room facilities.
- If guest agrees then proceed for reservation otherwise if guest want then send him to another hotel.