In service industry like hotel or restaurant, complaints go side by side. Whenever you would try to sell any product or service, you will find some people who may not become satisfied. In hotel arena, people get angry or not fill happy for various reasons. Some common reasons are like not getting proper service by staffs, bad quality of food in restaurants etc. The basic golden rule of dealing with guest complaints, is don’t be panic or offensive while guests complaint to you. Try to professionally deal all sorts of complaints. This is a great chance to show your professionalism.
Thing you should Consider while Handling Complaints
Why do you feel guest complaints are bad for your property. Try to think in different ways. Don’t you feel it is helpful for you to find out weaknesses of your property and a chance to resolve that? A valid, logical complaint is the feedback from your guest by handling which you can improve your hotel or restaurant on the other hand ignoring such complaint will result serious loss in future. So, try to think this way. This is the right approach to handle guest complaint.
Proper Ways of Handling Guest Complaint
- Take your time. Listen with full attention what guest wants to say.
- After guest express his complaint repeat that in your voice to make him understand that you listen to him properly.
- Start replying in a tricky way like “I understand your problem, sir” or “Thanks a lot for bringing up the matter” to us”. This will give impression to guest that you are not against the guest but rather supporting him. This would make him calm.
- If you are the person to solve the matter then take proper action to solve the problem. If you are not authorized for handling such complaints then inform the right person who can solve the problem.
- If you can solve the problem and you may take time from guest to solve the problem and in this situation don’t forget to follow up the problem to check whether it is solved or not.
- If the problem is very serious then consult with top personnel immediately.
- If you are front desk agent then you should write the complaint in complaint form.
Types of Guest’s Complaints in Hotel & Restaurant:
There are tons of complaints a hotelier needs to handle everyday. Based on our research we can classify guest complaints into 5 main types according to the nature and timing of the complaint. Those are:
- Before Guest Arrives
- After Guest’s Arrival
- During Guest’s Stay
- During Guest’s Check Out
- After Guest’s Check Out
Before Guest Arrives:
- Booking information is not accurately records.
- Booking information is not timely and accurately delivered.
- Prices, or room number information cannot be kept confidential or premature to tell the guests.
- A sudden raise of room prices.
- Managers at all levels receive relatives and friends booking without informing front desk that could cause damage and confusion.
- Restaurants of various departments in the home-front passenger booking and contact guests in the process of giving guests the impression to remain poor, resulting in booking or cancellation of booking guests do not want.
After Guest’s Arrival:
- Both parties to the price dispute.
- Upon arrival record of the request is inconsistent with the hotel.
- Not been able to stay in rooms or rooms cannot let guests leave satisfied.
- Guests of the hotel the provisions of dissatisfaction with the difference in different time slots.
- The guests are not satisfied with the arrangements.
- Check-in board room procedures were too cumbersome and time-consuming too long.
- Welcome members and baggage are not in place or place of service for less than a home.
During Guest’s Stay:
- Room facilities and equipment, consumables or services that allow guests are disappointed.
- Business center and switchboard services to make guests dissatisfied.
- Information and cashier services enable customers satisfied.
- Other aspects: the key to the guests because of the expired card can not open the door and dissatisfaction; the guests change wards without a response, or implementation; guest complaints during the stay, the hotel is not to be properly resolved.
During Guest’s Check Out:
- Rounds closing speed is too slow: No small change to speak of; foreign exchange has not commenced business or has ceased operation; guests to catch up with the next closing rooms, dining hall staff time; guest attendants have to go rounds, with a total station to play the past Tel no access; room attendants rounds too slow; cashier checkout too slow.
- Accounts disputes: Guest does not recognize certain consumer items; have objections to certain spending; does not recognize the loss of items they should be required to pay compensation for costs; right held by the guests credit card validity or currency of doubtful authenticity etc.
- The Housing-state error: the guests have already checkout, the total housing units are not in time to change state; guests extension completed check-out procedures, with a total station has not entered into the computer; for other reasons.
After Guest’s Check Out:
- Related Business forms are not timely filed or filed in error; guests entered the relevant information is not timely and customer history files; guest’s complaint information is not timely, accurately reflected in the relevant sectors.
- The guest check-out services are not in place or to pass relevant information is not discontent caused by the guests: Guests Check in time when the message is not delivered to the designated guests; guests arrive after check-out items, letter or fax are not timely and accurate manner according to the requirements of the guests treatment; guests left the hotel the important items, documents, failed to pass the guests in time, affecting the lives of the guests and travel.
For more information we highly encourage you to read this Most Effective Step by Step Guest Complaint Handling Procedure in Hotel
I have been trying to get the PowerPoint presentations which was paid for via PayPal please at least contact and let me know
We are very sorry for the inconvenience. Please check your email. We have already fixed the issue for you.
Invaluable analysis . I Appreciate the information , Does someone know where my business could possibly grab a fillable IRS 1099-INT example to use ?
thank you very much for your such a great message which helps me in my career .
I woul like to thank you for this wonderfull site, wich are being very helpful for many people around the world. Also provide very important
information and advices to developed a better service in Hotel Industry.
I would like to learn and want to get the Front Office & HSP certificate, so how to do??? and how much i have to pay for the e.course??
Hope to get your email replying soon!
Sorry we are not running any course any more.
Thank you so much for such powerful research. I am a student who is in the hospitality industry and i have figured out a way to treat guest’s in a good manner thanx to you guys. keep up the good work
All of these are very useful us.
thanks for all
this web site is fruit full to me to promote my hotlier life .
keep it up thank u so much 🙂
Hey there to every one. I am a new member on the community forum.
@lagos oriental hotel,your tutorial and packages are so good to us.it is helping people to get trained without a dime.all you need is to keep a relaionship with us whereby u can train staff in situ.
Thanks but your message is not clear.
wow,so something educative is going on @ hospitality school .am impress and gain a lot here .am becoming GM, my first attempt ,av acquire ,gain on your lesson .thank u .more greese to ur elbow .
all people has the right opinion your siteis very usefull to every one like me, id like to work in hotel, it realy help me a lot hope you have a guide for a non hotelier owner’s too to let them know the hotel operations and including the hotel protocols…. thank more power to your site….
How can I print out the materiআল
thank you it really help me a lot
thank you very much for providing us such a complete hotel knowledge. i will make the best use of it
What would I have to do to download to print all of these articles of free tutorials on the same day? Also, what will your e-book be about and how do I obtain it? Thanks
After finally launching my Member club you can join there. There will be 30 top quality tutorials or sop along with 5 tutorials from this existing FREE blog. Only members who would pay for YEARLY subscription (US $ 240) will enjoy privilege to select 5 FREE Tutorials from this blog, each month..
i am looking forward having your e-books ASAP
I find this articles so useful! i will be a continues reader for sure/thanks a lot
Don’t Forget to subscribe here and invite your frrends to visit this blog..
I would like to receive the e-book soon. kindly organise for it immediately.
keep going all the best.
This is so wonderful,a superb job.keep it up!
i like this software a lot
do u visit newly opening hotels and give your ideas to the employees?
thank you for your effort
please carry on,
No dear. I don’t have that much of caliber…
this blog was quite helpful for me thanks for the help….
hope we find lot more things here….
I will try my level best
Keep up the good job. All my new clerks have the duty to subscribe to your site. 😉
Front desk manager
Carlo Magno Hotel SPA resort
Thanks Mr. Manuel Calamani. Please use all your network to make my blog more popular among hoteliers and hotel management students…
I just found your site, really great, keep up the great job. Thank you so much
this blog is really awsome………….i thank admin for tryin to setup this blog n helping students lyk me n otherz
Thanks. Invite all your friends to join in our network. Now we have 1000+ fans…
Hi The Site was extremely helpful for me..You are doing a great work. Infact I just subscribed this..but it is very very much useful..for the people who would like to improve their knowledge..eagerly waiting to go through the coming books.
All the Very best
Thanks for your Valuable Comment. All i would say, keep in touch, help me to promote my blog. I will keep helping you more and more…
Hi i m eagerly waiting for ur job solution book.i think it will b d best one n d unique one.plz publish it as early as possible.
Thanks Atoshi for your interest. I will be very busy up to 9th April. Then i will start writing on that topic. Hope it will be published on May…
Ive’d been surfing the internet every time just to give all my Team members a weekly training programs, and now I can make a research in just only one website which is your hospitality-school.com Thank you sooooooo much
I will only say “I am honored”. Thanks a lot for your comments. This is the reward i want for my hardwork. I guess if you love to read my tutorials then you and your colleagues will also love to have my ebooks. I am working hard to publish my first training manual on “Handling Guest Complaint” and for that i need your support. Keep in touch and keep commenting.